Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Preparing Homilies

When I prepare for my homilies, I always begin by reading the scripture, jotting down thoughts as I read. Then I put those away and leave them, coming back to them every now and then.

Some of my first notes on last Sunday’s gospel:

1) Jesus’ disciples testified to what they saw and witnessed first hand.
What struck me (reminded me, because this was always pounded into us during our preaching classes in the seminary) is that any preaching must include illustrations that I have experience first-hand. Sure, I can borrow from here and there sometimes, but, if what I preach doesn’t touch my heart, it will not touch the heart of the assembly.

2) Our communion with each other comes through our communion with Jesus.
It’s like the way airlines operate these days: I may get on in Norfolk, but that plane comes from and returns to it’s hub airport. Jesus is our hub.

3) If we walk in darkness, we are not in the light. (Duh!)

4) All of us sin.

But look at those last two. See how negative they are. Of course I can get that interpretation from the text, but I’ve noticed that I slip pretty easily into moralism and negative readings of Scripture. So, I’m trying to be more aware of it. The more positive reading of these two points might go something like this:

3) If we walk in the light with Jesus, the darkness will find no place within us.

4) If are truly sorry for our sins and sincerely strive to do better, we will be forgiven and cleansed.

What does this have to do with the lectionary reading? Well, for me it puts me on guard to avoid the same mistaken emphasis.

Jesus is the true vine. The message is not about us being cut off or separated. It is not about what will cause us to wither and dry up. It is about what will cause us to grow and bear fruit. Jesus is the vine. He is what connects us to the soil, to the roots, where we gather the nourishment that allows us to be fruitful. When we are grafted on to Jesus, we are in touch with the source of all life and vitality and growth.

It is a simple observation, but I am reminded this day that we are preaching good news. We ought to read with eye open for it as we prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment