Sunday, May 17, 2009

A "Leaderful" Parish


At this very moment, new members of our Pastoral Council are being discerned. I am impressed by their depth of faith and love for this parish. I’m also impressed with the few people who showed up to help in this discernment.

One of the most important issues in parish life, I believe, is leadership.

I don’t mean the leadership of the Pastor. I mean the leadership of the members, or what one author calls, the extent to which a church is Leaderful!!

I am completely convinced that a church cannot rise above the amount of leadership it raises up, and that the Pastor and other staff can only provide a limited amount of leadership.

What that means is that one of the central limiting factors in churches is the degree to which leaders in the parish are inspired, mentored, equipped, deployed and developed, resourced and given the gift of accountability.

I suspect there are hardly any churches that do this effectively

So, is there anywhere that’s doing this thing well. It’s not preaching that’s the difference between small / medium sized churches and large churches, it’s leaderful-ness.

2 comments:

  1. Father Robert, sorry I could not stay, the timing was off with getting the kids lunch (and the baby a nap!) On a totally different subject - can you change the type color back to black? The red is driving my eyes crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments Father. I wish that more people would emphasize leadership over the management of projects and people.

    ReplyDelete