Sunday, May 10, 2009

Every Parent's Dilemma!


Background.

It's time for me to have "the talk" (about sex) with my 14 year old son. I should have had this discussion before now, but since we home-school and he's never really showed interest in girls I didn't want to push the issue. I didn't grow up with my father so I was never given the talk. He does play hockey so I'm sure he has some idea from hearing other boys in the locker room talk about girls. He's the oldest of 5 and has sisters.

Question.

I was hoping for a few bullet points of the main points I should touch on during our talk. What I mean when I say this is, I'm not talking about the biology as much as the things God wants us to know about sexuality and our Catholic faith. Is it possible for you to give me the "it's really important that you say this" ideas. I'm trying to psych myself up to do this this weekend. I'm not even sure how you start the conversation.

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get on this.

Answer:

Hi,

Forget the urgency. Believe me; at fourteen, he knows. What you need to do is give him a Christian foundation in which to understand his sexuality. I suggest that you get Jason Evert’s CD set, “How to Talk to Teens About Chastity.” It’s available through shop.catholic.com or by phone: 888 291 8000. Listen to it yourself, and then with him.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P

No comments:

Post a Comment