Monday, April 27, 2009

Gate of Love

John 10:1-10

When I saw (let's call him "Derek," I knew right away that he was going through a hard time.
He tried to avoid me, but I stopped him and asked what was wrong.
He didn't want to talk about it, but I knew he needed help, so I got him to sit down with me and talk it out.
"But Derek," I said, "the Lord is guiding you through this."
All I got in return was a blank stare.

So I tried a different twist. "Derek, God loves you."
Nothing, again.
No wonder he didn't want to talk with me. All I had to offer was the standard religious line.

So then I said, "Gee, this must be really difficult for you."
He lifted his eyes a little and said, "Yeah, it is."
I asked him, "What are you going to do?"
He turned to me and said, "I don't know."
I said, "Wanna sit down and talk about it?"
He said, "Sure."

The gate to Derek's troubled heart was love, not answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment