Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lazarus, Come Out!


In his book Tuesdays with Morrie Mitch Albom describes the experience of a former professor who is dying of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or Lou Gehrig's disease.
As his condition worsens, Morrie Schwartz finds himself weeping while watching or reading the news.
Now that I'm suffering, I feel closer to people who suffer than I ever did before," he says. "I feel their anguish as if it were my own."

In his Apostolic Letter Salvific Suffering (http://www.vatican.va/holy father/john_paul_ii/ apost_letters/documents/hf jp-ii_apl_11021984_ salvffici-doloris en.html), John Paul II observes that Jesus stayed close to human suffering, feeling it keenly, healing and comforting, and finally taking it on himself in order to redeem us.
At the death of Lazarus, Jesus weeps.
We too can weep for the suffering of others, pray for them, and be the compassionate presence of Christ in their anguish.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure where to post this, but just want to ask you to hurry up and post your homily from last Sunday. I thought it was very, very good!

    ReplyDelete